Diagnosed with SLL. Experiencing pain and stiffness in joints and hands. Worrisome

My dad just got diagnosed with SLL. He has been experiencing pain and stiffness in joints and hands. Is this part of SLL? They think he first presented in 2009 but tests weren't done until recently when he started getting fluid in his lungs.
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

I am sorry to know about your dad. Fortunately, treatment of SLL has evolved a lot and I am sure may lead his normal life span.

SLL presents with lymph gland swellings, fever, weight loss, night sweats, liver and spleen enlargement and sometimes high white cell count in blood (with or without low hemoglobin or platelets). Fluid in body cavities is also possible (like in chest or abdomen). Stiffness of joints and hands is not usually a part of SLL. It is more commonly seen in arthritis of any cause (age-related or something like rheumatoid arthritis). Xrays and few simple blood tests (like RA factor, CRP) may be done to find out the cause.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries.
Best Wishes,