Ask a Urologist   »  

Diagnosed with Polycystic liver/kidney diease. Suggestions?

Dec 2012

I have been diagnosed with Polycystic liver/kidney diease. My father died of kidney cancer. I am told the kidney cancer did not kill him but it was the fact it had spread by the time they found it and it was in his kidney liver lungs and brain. The brain is what was the cause. We do not know if he had Polycystic liver / kidney diease before he got kidney cancer but I am concerned if this is something that I need to be aware of in the future. My GI doctor is having an MRI done every 6 months to keep a check on things. I have had the cysts in my liver for 7 years but this is the first time I have had them in the kidney. Please advise
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
With these only monitoring for complications

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for posting,

Well the conditions you are having are considered serious and I understand that you must really feel worried before seeking for extra information. I am afraid, will only have to be truthful with you but you need to know that you can still live with these conditions (even though it would be difficult psychologically).
When it comes to polycystic kidney diseases (PKD), management requires looking out for complications and treating them. The condition on its on can not be treated (at least not yet). But it is a condition that does come with a lot of complications and believe me, it developing into a cancer is not amongst them.
People having PKD can develop cardiovascular problems (high blood pressure, heart failure, valvulopathy), renal problems/insufficiency, urinary tract infections, hematuria, pain, electrolyte disorders etc.
Treatment of PKD will depend on presenting complications and surgical drainage of very enlarged cyst can be done.
Same goes for polycystic liver disease. Monitoring or being on the look out for complications is the key to getting a better quality of life.
Follow-up consultations will depend on which complications present.
Please note that, I am not saying that you are dying but that you should know that your quality of life might drop and you might not be able to do the things or eat the things that you normally had to eat e.g you need to go low on salt intake and avoid intense physical activities.
Your doctors will guide you through as the diseases evolves.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Diagnosed with Polycystic liver/kidney diease. Suggestions? 16 minutes later
Thank You. I have a follow up appointment with a Urologist and will find out what his recommendation is for the future. Right now the cysts are small at least that is what I am told so that is better news. Maybe I can keep them small and by doing an MRI every 6 months for the next year it will get better.
Thank you for your advice.
Brief Answer:
Your welcome.

Detailed Answer:
That is excellent. I believe that everything will be fine and you will have little to worry about.
I do wish you the best.

Dr. Nsah