Diagnosed with Pityriasis Rosea. Developed minor rash and given cortizone shot and prednisone. Suggest suitable treatment?

i have been diagnosised with skin conidition called Pityriasis Rosea.
I am 60 year old male. I with never having any kind of skin problems in my life. But my condition started in XXXXXXX of this year. My primary phyician seen as possiblity scapes. However, after treatment i continued to have minor rash break out. I continued to see my phyician for three months just to tell me it is stress. I found my conidition worsening and refer myself to dermatologist. On first look he told me this was not due to stress but a skin reaction maybe mediciation.
I seen him few times which he gave me cortizone shot and Prednisone. Additionally a tropical skin cream. All did little to reduce my condition.. He finally took a skin biposi. Which came back as Pityriasis Rosea, With this he told me that this conidition is know to last for as long 11 months. I have been given program comfort. With another program of presisone 3 tablets of 20 mg and will stay on through the month and a fluconazole 200 mg one day. This rash seems never go away and pops in and out as it please bringing on more serious outbreak. I am worn out and feeling like my life will never be normal again. I have job and my daily activities and quality of have reduced with no happiness feeling this will not never clear. I need your outlook on this conition and a referal if there University Service where i get a treatment for which i can get my quality of life back or your recommendition how Please I dont know how much longer i can endore this day in and out.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No worries yet

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank for the query,

It is true its pretty for the dermatologist to recognize this condition. However, this is not always the case. There are other skin conditions that do present in a similar fashion. These include conditions like: ringworm and eczema.

There are moments in the course of the disease that the condition goes away on its own without any treatment. The time taken for the condition to disappear on its own varies from person to person.

I do believe the treatment that was prescribed was a good one. persistence of symptoms could imply an inadequate dosage or that you took the drug for a shorter duration that expected. If not, other disease possibilities like eczema or ringworm be reconsidered. I would suggest you consult again your same physician first.

Thanks and feel free asking further questions if need be. In case symptoms persist, you could then consult another doctor. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD