Diagnosed with Parkinsons. Had stroke. Reason for sudden fainting?

This morning early my wife had awakened in the night and gone to the bathroom. I went in just to casually check and see if she was ok. She had gone to the floor and had lost all muscular control. I was able to get her up and got her sat down in a chair. Got her to drink liquids and eat a light bite. She is coherent but a bit scared. I have her back in bed and she is sleepy so am just watching. She has been dehydrated once before and this episode seemed the same almost. What is your suggestion. She has had a stroke many years ago and is diganosed with Parkinsons.
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I understand that your wife had a dizzy spell in which she fell down and had weakness all over some time. Such events occur due to sudden fall in blood pressure. It will be difficult to pinpoint the exact unless ones examines her but the probable causes are
1. If she is on antihypertensives then her BP should be again regulaly monitored. Manytimes the anti hypertensives may reduvlce the bp to such an extent.
2. Dehydration. But then there has to be a cause for dehydration. Either an infection or diarrhoea or heat exposure.
3. Vaso vagal attack. The same can precipitate when she pases urine. Th3 vagal tone needs to evaluated.
4. Hypoglycemia. If she has eaten poorly at night or is fasting then this can happen.
Next time if suh a thing happens, make her lie straight and lift her both pegs up for some time so that her brain gets the much needed blood and oxygen. Keep a digital BP measuring device handy at home and measure her BP if such episodes recurr.
When ever you find time in future get an ECG done for her to evaluate the cardiac status.
Hope that helps
Wish you and your wife good health.
Dr. Srikantb Reddy