Diagnosed with PUJ obstruction, blasted kidney stones. Should I monitor for symptoms like dizziness, rashes or headaches?

I was diagnosed with having a PUJ obstruction, I recently blasted 2 kidney stones . My doctor is deliberating whether or not to operate to remove the obstruction,he prefers to moniter it. My simptoms includes excessive drinking of water, burning under my feet, especially when urinating, pain in left side, headaches, red skin rash on my lower feet, dizziness, fatigue, feeling sleepy, trouble concentrating. I am confused as I dont feel well, my doctor is pressuring that it is better to moniter the situation, and if it gets worse or if the kidney fails, then I have another to survive. What can you advise me to do.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later

With PUJ (pelvis-ureteric junction) obstruction there is blockage to the flow of the urine that may cause Hydronephrosis. It may eventually lead to kidney damage. But this will occur only in severe cases.

If the obstruction is complete and you have severe symptoms, then only surgery is advised. I believe that your doctor wants to monitor if your symptoms get worse, before advising surgery.

Now, about your symptoms, pain and urinary problems are the only relevant signs that you have. The rest of the symptoms may be coincidental. Rash, dizziness, sleepiness etc. are all unrelated to the PUJ obstruction. I think it depends on the severity of the obstruction, and if you see that the kidney damage is getting worse then surgery is advised. Until then, it can be monitored.

Renal function tests and Intravenous Pyelography (IVP) will tell you about the severity of the condition.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.