Diagnosed with PID, ultrasound shows collection in POD. Concerned about fertility. How advanced is the PID?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH PID, 3 TIMES, NOW ULTRASOUND SHOWS MODERATE COLLECTION IN POD, IM CONCERNED ABOUT FERTILITY, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW ADVANCED IS THE PID AND WILL A HAVE COMPLICATIONS IN FUTURE, I HAD A STIIBIRTH AT 25 WEEKS AND SCARED I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO CONCEIVE OR CARRY A CHILD TO TERM,
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
I can understand your anxiety. I will answer your doubts sequentially.
1. From your description, you seem to be suffering from recurrent PID. The cause of this could be either repeated exposure to infections or a preexisting chronic infection like TB. For this, you need to undergo a few tests to determine the etiology(cause) of the infection. Once that is done, a rigorous course of appropriate antibiotics is essential. In the mean time while you are on treatment, either abstain from sex or use condoms strictly to prevent recrudescence of infection.
2. Yes, PID does have a negative impact on fertility. This is because it causes inflammation and fibrosis of the tubes leading to a blockage. This prevents conception and leads to infertility. The severity of PID can be ascertained by an ultrasound and by tubal patency tests like a hysterosalpingogram. PID is not related to the still birth you have experienced.

I would like to suggest the following
1. Get properly and adequately treated for PID
2. Thereafter get tubal patency tests, hormonal levels and diagnostic laparoscopy done.

If all goes well, you should not have a problem then.
Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups.
With regards.