Diagnosed with PCOS, prescribed Riomet, Krimson. Will these cause any complications in pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Hi Doctor,
I have been having irregular periods and diagonised with PCOS. My doctor has prescribed with Riomet 500 mg twice a day (morning and noon) and Krimson 35 for three months. I want to know of these tablets are safe enough? Any side effects of getting getting pregnant later. Am getting married in the month of August,2013. Please clarify
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later

I have reviewed all your uploaded reports and those are within normal range. In PCOS, above said medications are given as first line for 6-9 months to alleviate presenting symptoms and regularize your period. These are relatively safe.

Those medications are also help to regularize ovulation cyclically. When you plan for future pregnancy, you need to stop taking KRIMSON-35 for at least 1-2 months as it is a contraceptive pill. In that time, progesterone pill for 10 days is quite helpful for the same. You also need to monitor ovulation time or fertile days by using ovulation prediction kit (LH kit) to maximize the chance of pregnancy.

Low carbohydrate diet, weight reduction by regular moderate exercise & taking supportive medications are the key component of PCOS treatment.

Hope this information is quite helpful. If you have any further query, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health. Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Diagnosed with PCOS, prescribed Riomet, Krimson. Will these cause any complications in pregnancy? 2 hours later
I have been getting pimples off late. I want to know if they could be because of the above mentioned medicines? Are pimples side effect?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 59 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Acne or pimples are quite common with PCOS and it occurs mostly due to hormonal imbalance & high androgen level. You can undergo serum DHEAS level. KRIMSON-35 medication helps to reduce that problem as it contains Cyproterone Acetate which is anti androgenic.

You should continue above two medications up to 6-9 months, keep bowel habit regular, drink more water or fluid, eat green vegetables & fruits, try to avoid stress or tension by meditation, take sound sleep. In addition, you can locally apply BENZAC-AC 5% cream at bed time to reduce pimples.

Hope it helps you. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen.