Diagnosed with PCOS. Taking treatment for conceiving. Getting pregnancy symptoms. Any ideas?

Mar 2013
HiI am 25yrs old .I have been diagnosed with PCOS. I am trying to conceive for the past 4 months and also undergoing treatment. My gynac took blood test and my FSH level was high. She gave Novelon to bring down the fsh level. Then she put me on enphene 50mg and did follicle study. From 17th-26th day she gave me duphaston on 17th day of my last cycle follicle size was 10mm. Now my periods is 50 days due. My last cycle was on 2nd XXXXXXX 2013.Took three hpts on 2nd day and 14th day of my missed period. But the results are negative. I went to doctor again on last week.She has asked me to wait for 1 more week and after that if it is negative again she has prescribed me to take meprate I have early pregnancy symptoms like back pain, abdominal cramping ,vomiting sensation(rarely), white discharge. Am I pregnant or have anyother problem? Is it safe to take meprate in this condition or I should go for any other check up?
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 minutes later
Thank you for your health query.
PCOS is a condition associated with delayed / irregular cycles and often, an ovulation, that is, absence of ovulation.
Novelon is basically an oral contraceptive pill that helps to regulate cycles in PCOS.
Raised FSH is indicative of suboptimal ovarian function, that is seen in PCOS
Basically, there is delayed or absent ovulation in PCOS, and enphene helps to stimulate the ovaries and produce follicles.
In a regular 28 day cycle, ovulation occurs by day 14 when the mature follicle reaches a size of 20 - 22 mm.
In your case, until day 17, follicle size was only 10 mm.
So you either failed to ovulate, in which case there is no chance of pregnancy, or you had delayed ovulation, common with PCOS.
For that, further follicle study details if available will tell you if ovulation occurred.
Also , it would help to know your previous menstrual history and generally how much delayed your periods are.
If you provide these two details, the picture will be clearer to me.
Also, as your period is 50 days overdue, you are most probably not pregnant.
After a week, you can ask your Gynecologist to confirm this by a vaginal ultrasound, and if there is no evidence of pregnancy, yo can safely take Meprate for withdrawal bleeding.
Pain, cramping , nausea could be as easily indicative of pre menstrual state, as of pregnancy.
In future, have follicular monitoring till ovulation is confirmed, and you might need clomiphene plus gonadotropin injections, if you failed to respond to just clomiphene.
Your partner's semen analysis, and testing of your Fallopian tube patency also should be done.
PCOS is a condition best treated by weight loss and lifestyle modification,
Aim to achieve an ideal BMI, as even 5 % helps to regulate menstrual cycles.
Detailed testing like thyroid hormones, adrenal hormones, FSH and LH ratio, fasting serum insulin and glucose tolerance test should be done as well.

Please take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications
Follow-up: Diagnosed with PCOS. Taking treatment for conceiving. Getting pregnancy symptoms. Any ideas? 10 minutes later
actually after starting to take this treatment my cycle is very regular it will come exactly aftr 28th day. My gnac suggested when she gave duphason on my last cycle that come to see her on second day of my periods if It she asked me to wait for 5 to 10 days after taking the last tablet.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Hello again,
Your gynecologist is right that after Duphaston, normally the period should come within 5 - 10 days, however that has not happened yet in your case.
I would advise waiting for a week, as she suggested, and then to take Meprate after confirming the status of pregnant/ non pregnant with an ultrasound.
All the best.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with PCOS. Taking treatment for conceiving. Getting pregnancy symptoms. Any ideas? 34 minutes later
Thank you so much doctor.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
You are always welcome, Justinamala.
Its a pleasure interacting with people like you.