Diagnosed with PCOS. History of CMV mono, allergies and chronic rhinitis. Blood work done. Should I be concerned?

I have been diagnosed with PCOS. History of CMV mono, allergies, chronic rhinitis. Have had several orthopedic surgeries most recently C6-7 foraminotomy 7/2011 which I am still having constant pain from. History of depression since 2006.
Medications: BeYaz, Wellbutrin XL, Singulair.
In 2011 had a positive XXXXXXX sed rate, and CRP. Most recent abnormal blood work:
ANA: speckled 1:320
WBC: 3.8 K/uL (low 4-10)
Anti DNA (SS) IgG Ab, Qn: 27 (high)
ALT: 8 IU/L (low 11-66)
All other blood work normal. No rashes, fevers, unexplained joint pain/weakness, or sensitivity to sunlight. No family history of Rheumatic disease. C/o fatigue but not excessive. Wondering if my medical history may have resulted in these abnormal tests and how concerned do I need to be about SLE?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 19 hours later

We need a little more information to check if you really suffer from lupus - did you have any rashes, what is your kidney function and urine report, do you have joint pains, what is the exact sed rate and hair loss.

If all these are negative, the chances of lupus are less.

The presence and severity of lupus does not depend on the positivity of XXXXXXX especially with lower titres. There are many reasons to get a false positive tests.

Currently, low WBC count, high anti DNA and depression are the only positive things that fit into the diagnosis of lupus.

In case of doubts, low complement 3 and 4 levels in blood will indicate the severity of lupus.

Overall, from current information, it appears that you may be suffering from lupus with low activity and need not worry about it too much.

Hope you can give some information for a better assessment.

Dr Praveen XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Diagnosed with PCOS. History of CMV mono, allergies and chronic rhinitis. Blood work done. Should I be concerned? 35 minutes later
No rashes. No sensitivity to sunlight. No fevers. No unexplained joint pain. Hair has thinned over years but no pathes of hair loss and no noticeable increases in thinning over last 8 or so years. Normal creatinine, BUN, sodium, glucose, and potassium. Negative rheumatoid factor. Always had normal UA but most recent 8/2010 showed trace amt of protein.
CRP 11.7 MG/L (high; less than 8.0)
Sed rate 28 MM/HR (high; 0-20)

No other specific tests have been done yet. I do get episodes of itching on arms, legs, and torso about 1x per month and occasional itching after working out during cool down.

What other tests would you recommend? If I did have SLE, how serious is the disease? Would you take any prophylactic medication or supplements that might help slow development of more serious disease or to help decrease systemic inflammation?

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 48 minutes later
These normal results and marginally elevated sed rate indicates that the disease is mild, if at all.

As mentioned C3 and C4 (complements) levels would be helpful for confirming the diagnosis and judging its severity.

Hydroxychloroquine is usually advised to slow the disease process. However, would confirm it with C3 and c4 levels.