Diagnosed with PCOD, on birth control. Trying for baby. Should I stop the medicine?

Excellent
Question
Hi doctor,
This is XXXXXXXX from bangalore, i have been married since three years, now planning for a child in coming months,my concern is i was on medication for my pimples one year back, because of which my periods got irregular and was diagnosed PCOD, i started working out and took these birth control pills like XXXXXXX 32 and crisanta. now i have reduced close to 8 kgs and my periods are regular.
1. i wanted to know after stopping these birth control pills, after how many days we should start trying for kid
2.will these pills have any effect on the babys health if i conceieve
3. is it safe taking these pills

please let me know the pros and cons of these pills
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 37 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query on health care magic.

Good that you have reduced 8 kg and your cycles are regular now.

Let me answer your query one by one:
1. i wanted to know after stopping these birth control pills, after how many days we should start trying for kid? You can start trying for baby from the next cycle itself.
Alternate day intercourse from next cycle is recommended.

2. will these pills have any effect on the baby's health if i conceive? Not at all. Once you stop taking pills and you conceive in your next cycle , there is no harm to fetus.

3. is it safe taking these pills? Pills help to regularize menstrual cycle. It also reduces pimples. Pills are usually given in PCOS to reduce insulin resistance. It is safe.

So, now i suggest you to stop your pills and try for baby from next cycle after periods.
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have further doubts. I will be happy to help.
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Diagnosed with PCOD, on birth control. Trying for baby. Should I stop the medicine? 55 minutes later
thanks a lot for the reply!!!
1.i m now 58 kgs and 5.6 ft tall.looks normal BMI for this, but still i m working out with my regular excerise, the concern is should i stop working out when we start trying for kids?
2. what are the days when the egg might ovulate[danger period]
3. should i stop working out after i conceive? how many months should i stop?
4. will excerise give less chance to concieve?

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 11 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

It seems you have maintained a very good physic. I appreciate your concern about health and fitness.

1. .i m now 58 kgs and 5.6 ft tall.looks normal BMI for this, but still i m working out with my regular exercise, the concern is should i stop working out when we start trying for kids? No , you need not stop exercising. Just avoid strenuous exercises which make you breathless and avoid jumping. Fast walk and mild aerobics are the best.

2. what are the days when the egg might ovulate[danger period]?
Ovulation occurs on 14th day . Danger period ranges between 8th to 20th day.

3. should i stop working out after i conceive? how many months should i stop? You need not stop. But be a little mild in your exercise.

4.will exercise give less chance to conceive? No, infact exercise will increase your chances of conception by reducing your weight.

Start taking folic acid tablet (folinine D -1 tab daily after food at night).
Eat healthy and fresh home prepared food. Avoid anything from outside like pani puri.
Avoid any sort of medications and radiation(X-ray)
Be happy and stress free.

Wish you both good luck.
regards,
Dr Nilofer