Diagnosed with PCOD and taking sysron. Had light spotting. Pregnancy test was negative. Suggest the cure?

HI Doctor..
I have PCOD . I was on medication for past 6 months taking sysron n . but in the last month i was advised not to take the medicine and see if periods come in naturally. but i got very light spotting for two days that too 9 days after i missed my date for regular menses. then i saw my doctor she advised me to again take sysron n from 28 th for 5 days. I also took pregnancy test on 28th it was negative. is it possible that i might be pregnant??
Please assist
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be a delayed cycle with breakthrough.

Detailed Answer:

Sysron N is meant for inducing and regulating the cycles. You did not mention how you have been using it. In PCOD, the hormonal disturbance inherent to the condition creates menstrual irregularities and correction is often done with oral pills followed by induction if conception is needed. The hormones do not correct the underlying cause essentially, they regulate the balance.

I think that you are experiencing a delayed cycle with breakthrough bleed as you did not use any hormone to induce the period in this cycle. As the urine pregnancy test is negative, it is unlikely that you have conceived. Yet, if you wish to confirm/exclude pregnancy you can get the serum beta-hCG assay before you start the treatment again. Please remember, use of Norethisterone is not safe in pregnancy.

If you are trying to conceive, here are a few things that you should get done. Get a complete hormonal profile to see what is the exact hormonal picture you have. Please get a glucose tolerance test to look for insulin resistance, a characteristic feature of PCOD. Get a trans-vaginal sonogram to see the state of ovaries and other pelvic organs and get tubal patency tested preferably through laparoscopy. This gives you the scope to get any ovarian cysts dealt with at the same time. Please get the male partner also assessed.

Specific treatment aimed at the deficiencies, some priming and monitoring give good success rate. Also, maintenance of a healthy weight, regular exercise and a healthy diet in addition to avoidance of stress help in regularization of the menstrual cycles.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with PCOD and taking sysron. Had light spotting. Pregnancy test was negative. Suggest the cure? 33 minutes later
apart from the rapid pregnancy test is there any other way by which i can test at home if am pregnant or not? It was may be around 19th or 25th of Aug I was physically active.
And is it possible to get pregnant without penetration?
Please assist
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy can occur without penetration.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

There is no other way to test at home apart from the HPT which you have already taken. As your ovulation status cannot be established, it is difficult to predict going by dates alone. You should use ovulation test kits or follicular study to monitor ovulation in a cycle.

Yes, it is possible to get pregnant even without penetration and even without ejaculation as pre-ejaculate deposited on the vaginal outlet alone is sufficient to cause conception if it occurs during the ovulatory phase.

Hope your query is clarified. Please get back for further clarifications. I will be ready to help.