Diagnosed with PCOD and have been taking metformin. Asked to take meprate to regulate my cycle. Side effects?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016
Excellent

OBGYN
Question
I've been asked by my endocrinologist to take meprate 10 mg for 10 days (starting from the 14th day) to regulate my cycles. My cycles - as of now - are not very regular and typically follow a 39-40 day cycle. I was diagnosed with PCOD a couple of years back and have been taking metformin (1500 mg daily). I am also taking thyronorm 125 mg daily. My endocrinologist is nice and I trust her. But i have some concerns around meprate:
1) what are the potential side effects?
2) can i try for a baby while taking this medicine?
3) will i be able to stop this medicine in a while? As in, will it regulate my cycle in some months, after which it need not be taken?
Thanks very much,
J
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. S Patra 57 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comment regarding your query.

1) MEPRATE is a synthetic progestogen (Medroxyprogesterone Acetate) which is structurally similar to natural progesterone.

It is quite effective in re-programming of normal menstrual cycle in case of PCOD or other reasons and used for abnormal uterine bleeding or irregular cycle not due to organic pathology in suitable doses.

Potential side effects are breakthrough bleeding (most common) or spotting, change in menstrual flow, amenorrhoea, breast tenderness, changes in weight, mental depression, gastrointestinal disturbance, changes in libido etc. Though these are seen in starting few months and vary from woman to woman.

2) Yes, you can try for baby while taking this medicine as it is progesterone medication only. It does not cause any harmful effect to fetus before confirmation of pregnancy or less than 5 weeks. You should discontinue the medication while organogenesis of the fetus takes place from 4-5 weeks onwards. In stead of that, natural micronised progesterone is suggestive to support pregnancy in the first trimester.

3) Gold standard treatment of PCOD is low carbohydrate diet, weight reduction or control of body weight by regular physical exercise and supportive medication.
It is necessary to regularize your period for timely ovulation. You may use ovulation prediction kit (LH kit) to predict your ovulation time or fertile period to maximise the chances of pregnancy. In the mean time, taking vitamins & folic acid supplement are quite helpful to improve fertility.

Therefore, it is not favorable to stop above said medicine until you conceive or your treating doctor suggest.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with PCOD and have been taking metformin. Asked to take meprate to regulate my cycle. Side effects? 7 days later
Thank you Dr. Patra for your response.
I have a couple of followup questions:

1) I started taking meprate on 30th (which was the 14th day of my cycle) I still have two tablets to go. But i also started chumming today. Is this normal? Should I continue to take the remaining tablets?

2) How is breakthrough bleeding different from a period? How can I differentiate between the two?

Thanks,
J

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up query. Followings are my comments:

1) Chumming is quite common due to effect of above medication or possible pregnancy if you are trying for baby. Yes, you should continue the remaining tablets.
As it is too early to detect pregnancy, you should wait for next coming period up to 7 days before undergoing blood test for beta-HCG. Initial home pregnancy test is advisable.

2) Breakthrough Bleeding- When you get bleeding on active hormonal medication.

Period Bleeding- When you are without active hormonal pill or on the placebo pill and get bleeding.

Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Diagnosed with PCOD and have been taking metformin. Asked to take meprate to regulate my cycle. Side effects? 11 minutes later
Thanks Dr. But I am still a little confused.

So I've started bleeding today, but I should continue taking the remaining two tablets?

Also for the next course of Meprate, I should take them from 22nd May? (as today is 8th, and I am supposed to start from 14th day of cycle?)

Thanks a lot,
J

Answered by Dr. S Patra 7 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks again for your query.

If your bleeding is very light or spotting like, then you can take remaining tablets. Otherwise you can stop them.

Next course should be started on 22nd May (14th day of cycle) according to your doctor's recommendation.

Hope it helps to clear your confusion. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Dr Soumen