Diagnosed with PCOD and Insulin Resistance. Unable to conceive. Prescribed Bigomet, iron and calcium supplements. Why put on Krimson?

hey, I am diagnosed with PCOD and Insulin Resistance , I consulted doc as I was unable to conceive about an year ago. I am 5.5feet tall and have avg weight of 50kg. doctor advised diet change and asked me to take Bigomet (500mg twice daily) + iron and calcium suppliments for 4 months and also Krimson 35. In the course of these months I actually gained 1.5 kgs, and all the GTT reports are normal post these 4 months. i met up with doc today and she has advised me to loose weight and exercise. and also continue Krimson for 2 more months. I never had irregular periods in my life, I am 30 year old. I am not able to understand when I have an okay report why I am being put on Krimson (as I never had irregular periods) for 2 more months?
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 52 minutes later
Hi XXXXX,Thanks for your query.

Krimson35 is a combination of cyproterone acetate and ethinyl estradiol. It reduces plasma testosterone levels. It is very helpful in mainly in controlling androgen induced symptoms including acne and hirsutism.

In many studies it has been found that combined use of metformin (Bigomet) and Krimson (cypreterone acetate and ethinyl estradiol) results in better and prolonged control of PCOS. That may be the reason that your doctor has prescribed you Krimson-35 for few more days for proper control of your pathology.

Exercise has its own significant role in control of PCOS, even if you don't loose much weight with exercise, it will help in controlling the basic pathology in addition to the drugs.

In my opinion you should continue regular exercise along with this drug treatment as prescribed by your doctor. After few months you can stop your drug (Krimson-35) after consultation with your doctor as he can examine you physically also. After that you can happily plan your pregnancy.

Hope this helps.
For any further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL: