Diagnosed with PCOD. Is it safe to take shatavari?

Ayurveda Specialist
Dear Doc,
I have been diagnosed with PCOD. A friend suggested to take "Shatavari" . Is it safe to take it? Kindly suggest the dose and the brand too. Kindly suggest other Ayurvedic medicine to overcome Hormonal imbalance.
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul 17 hours later

Development of PCOD, hormonal imbalance and improper ovulation is a cause of concern.

To answer your queries first, Yes shatawari is a good tonic for women and has multiple beneficial effects - it is good uterine tonic, very good to increase milk in lactating mothers, and is a good general tonic also. It is free from any known side effects when taken within prescribed dose.
It is produced in various forms by many companies. The best one may be granules from Dhootapapeshwar in the name of "shatawari kalp". One tea spoon of it is added to a cup of milk and taken twice a day.

Regarding other drugs for cure in your problems, I believe a detailed history along with investigation done till now if mailed will help me. Please provide a detailed history explaining your problems. If you have any reports do upload them here.

Awaiting your reply...

Dr.Rajesh Lakhanpaul