Diagnosed with Optic Neuritis. Done MRI of brain and spinal tap. What are the findings?

Apr 2014

I was admitted to the hosptial & diagnosed with Optic Neuritis. I had to have an MRI and spinal tap.
I am trying to understand my MRI findings...I had an MRI Brain with & with our IV contrast inclusding postcontrast imaging through the orbits. Below this it says:
Single punctate focus of FLAIR hyperintensity in right frontal white matter of nonspecific etiology. No other intracranial abnormalties. No abnormal signal or enhancement involving the optic nerves.
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You have non specific findings. Don't worry at all.

Detailed Answer:

Your MRI report suggests

1.Single punctate focus of FLAIR hyper intensity in right frontal white matter of nonspecific etiology

FLAIR( Fluid attenuated inversion recovery) is a type of signal used in MRI.
This is among other signals like T1,T2 etc used in MRI.
These different types of signals are used to distinguish lesions from normal brain tissues.
FLAIR technique is used to suppress hyper intense(bright) signals produced by fluids like water and C.S.F in brain.
This technique is used when lesions are around ventricles that contain C.S.F.
FLAIR hyper intensity is normally seen in aged brain.

You have single punctate focus of FLAIR hyper intensity in white matter of right frontal region. It is nonspecific and you can ignore this. PRESENCE OF THREE OR MORE HYPERINTENSE SIGNALS ARE SIGNIFICANT AND THESE CASES NEED FURTHER EVALUATION.

2.Other findings in brain is normal.

3. No abnormal signal or enhancement involving the optic nerves.

Abnormal signals on MRI of the optic nerve due to optic neuritis depends on severity of initial visual loss and recovery.
I think, probably you have recovered form disease and hence it is not showing any enhancement.So,it is very healthy condition.

Hope you have understand the terms.
Further queries are most welcome.
Get well soon.

Take Care