Diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea, COPD and RLS. Very weak and fatigue. Do not have energy. Need opinion

Hi, my name is XXXXXXX from Clarksville, TN . I am 66 yrs old and having flashbacks for MST, which keeps me awake. I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea since Nov 2011, COPD, RLS, (PTSD) NIGHTMARE DISORDER. My pulmonary doctor does not take Medicare and I have BCBS as secondary insurance. I cannot tolerate the CPAP MASK or the NASAL MASK, so I was trying to get a current check-up with my Dr. and get his opinion on a Dental Appliance for my Sleep Apnea? I was covered under BCBS before, my insurance covered a good bit of the cost(s). My sleep study shows I need to wear some device the clear airway when lying down? I am very weak, fatigued-out
and gain about 60 lbs in the last 3 yrs., went from 110 lbs to 168 lbs. I do not have any energy; go to sleep during the dayl. I have smoked all my adult, now I smoke to stay awake; have tried to quit several times, but with no energy I have no willpower? Can you offer your opinion(s)?

Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Nigam 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
reduce weight,wear the appliance.

Detailed Answer:
As i have understood through your history that you had been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea,restless leg syndrome,nightmare disorder. The latter three are quite related to each other.
lets deal with them one by one.
Obstructive sleep apnea can be dealt by wearing a cpap mask while sleeping,but as you have mentioned that you are not comfortable wearing it there are Dental/Oral appliances that can be used.these are effective for mild to moderate sleep apnea.
Another thing that would help you in all your Ailments is weight reduction.
Dont take the harsh means,go for formulated diets,little work outs coupled with it. It should definitely help.
i would also suggest you to take up some relaxation exercises.As this will ease you up on your ailments and add meditation if possible. It will help you reduce you stress levels and break the vicious cycle.