Diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. Diarrhea every few days. Is this a common symptom?

I have recently been diagnosed with M.E and have bad diarreah every three or so days could you tell me if this is a common symptom this has been going on for months
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 29 minutes later

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is a multisystem disease and is usually caused due to an infectious process such as viral infection,any chemical,hormonal imbalance etc.. which affects the immune system.

Common symptoms and its presentation are fatigue,muscle pain,joint pain,sleep disturbances,memory issues,dizziness,irritable bowel disease which may present as diarrhoea,constipation and is usually trigerred by some particular food items.

Any illness and stress may worsen the symptoms.

The treatment is based mainly on lifestyle modification.Since you are complaning of diarrhoea it might be due to that.

Some suggestions which you can follow:
1)Have a healthy balanced diet comprising fruits,veggies, carbohydrates and pulses,oats,beans etc.

2)Maintain a food diary and try to identify the food trigger causing loose motions.

3)Usually people complain that milk and milk products cause allergy.See if that causes you motions.

4)Avoid fatty food and too much sugar in diet.

5)Avoid stress and practice relaxation techniques as meditation.

You can discuss with your Physician regarding Coenzyme Q uses,supplements,relaxation therapies as some patients have benefitted from them.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.