Diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. Had vertebroplasty done. Why there is a numbness in leg?

Spine Surgeon
My husband was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma Sept 2011. He has had vertebroplasty done on 3 vertebraes. One done in Oct 2011 and two in early 2012. He went through the chemo and had a stem cell transplant in February 2012. He is on 5mg Revlimid every 2 days and wears a Fentyal patch 75mg every 72 hrs. His left foot is numb (dead) no feeling. Got a brace for that so he can walk w/out falling down. Now says his other foot is starting to go numb. Dr says its the neuropathy, but I do not believe that. He hurts all over really bad 24/7. Dr's take his blood once a moth and always say he is in remission. which I don't believe one bit. They tell us nothing!! He fell at my moms 3 weeks ago and broke ribs on left side. Dr said they will heal. No xrays no nothing. On Dec. 24th he started sweating profusely, got sick, had diarrhea and threw up non stop. As far as I'm concerned these Dr's are doing nothing but making money on his monthly visits. We have no other choice of Drs where we live. He was stage 3 with renal failure when diagnosed. He has been hospitalized twice for blood clots in leg. He is not active. Sits in the recliner day after day. Can you tell me what is going on with the foot being numb. what his prognosis may be. For my piece of mind I would love to know what is happening. Thank You so much!
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for sharing your problem here. I understand your sufferings. I feel sorry to know about the pain your husband has gone through.

I know it is disappointing for you to know that Myeloma with renal failure has a poor prognosis. I treat a lot of patients with myeloma and spinal involvement. Your husband needs to undergo MRI spine to to see if his spinal cord and nerves are compressed or not. If it is compressed, the numbness could be because of that. If it is not, then it could be neuropathy.

Hope I had been able to clear your doubts. Please revert if you have further queries.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. Had vertebroplasty done. Why there is a numbness in leg? 7 hours later
I didn't mention that he did have an MRI and results were, that his spine looked the same as it did one year ago. Dr said they have no idea why his foot is numb. Can neuropathy make your foot and or limbs go numb? I thought neuropathy was just always a tingling feeling. Is it possible to loose feeling in your limbs completely? Thank You!
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 7 hours later
Thank you for reverting.

Let me explain you about neuropathy.

Nerve has sensory functions as well as motor function i.e. it supplies group of muscles.
In early neuropathy, only sensations are affected like pain and numbness; later the whole nerve is damaged and all the muscles supplied by the nerve become paralyzed. So the limb feels dead and useless.

Multiple myeloma itself and chemo could cause severe neuropathy and I am sure your doctors are aware of it.

Treatment involves multi vitamin caps+ B complex, Lyrica and ointments with menthol.

So please start him on these and wish you all the best.