Diagnosed with Mitral valve regurgitation. Prescribed with sotalol and porpafenone. Changed to flecainide. Other treatment?

I've been diagnosed with Mitral Valve regurgitation with Afib and given - first: sotalol (which gave me diarrhea) so was given porpafenone which I took for two years. Now changed to flecainide but keep hearing that Afib caused by valve problems should not take these drugs. Why, and if not what would another treatment be if a surgical remedy is not warranted. Thanks
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am afraid Afib is certainly a consequence from other heart conditions, and in no way a cause of these heart issues. Before drugs are prescribed in heart disease, a lot of considerations are made: Your past medical history, the extent of the problem and drugs or reaction/response to the drugs you are on.

A decision to change a drug should be at the discretion of your treating physician, after discussing and presenting why to you. In your case, A complete review by your cardiologist is important. A cardiac ultrasound, electrocardiogramme and serious blood pressure monitoring by your cardiologist.

I suppose you receive your Hemophilus influenzae and Pneumoccocus vaccine shots for they are very necessary in preventing against infectious endocarditis, which is a major risk factor in this case.

I suggest you book an appointment to discuss your concerns with your cardiologist, and get a complete medical review. Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health, Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with Mitral valve regurgitation. Prescribed with sotalol and porpafenone. Changed to flecainide. Other treatment? 12 minutes later
Why is afib caused by a valve problem any different than just having Afib?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 9 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

These are two different conditions. Valve problems in your case are certainly a late consequence of rheumatic fever or rheumatic heart disease. Rheumatic heart disease affects all layers of the heart, but especially the valves.

Having Afib alone with no other identified heart condition is much easier to manage than when it s associated with other conditions. This is so because it certainly entails more surveillance and more drugs.

The difference lies mainly on the surveillance intensity and management options
Associated heart disease will require regular vaccinations as mentioned above. Both do require Warfarin therapy against thrombosis, but the intensity of treatment depends on the clinical and paraclincal evaluation results done by your cardiologist.

Thanks and kind regards. Wishing you good health.

Bain LE, MD.