Diagnosed with Menieres disease. Took expired prednisone, had head pressure, chest pain and slurred speech. Given Diuretic. Suggest?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
I was recently diagnosed with Ménière's disease. The prednisone that was prescribed made things worse by pounding pressure in the back of my head, chest pains (likely aniexty), slurred speech, etc. So the dr took me off the prednisone and kept me on the diuretic. When I get upset at work the pressure builds in the back of my head, the imbalance intensifies, and I can't think. I've had a brain and chest CT scan, all was normal. Is something being missed? BP is borderline pre-hypertension.
Posted Sun, 6 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There are other options in Meniere;s Disease

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Meniere's disease is diagnosed on the following criteria:
a. Vertigo
b. Fluctuating hearing loss
c. Tinnitus
d. Fullness in the ear.
There is usually nausea and vomiting, the hearing usually worsens during an attack and the tinnitus also worsens. This condition develops suddenly or slowly and erratically and varies from person to person.

2. Meniere's Diseaase usually responds to a salt restricted diet (which will also help control your borderline hypertension) and a diuretic sch as acetazolamide (Diamox). Oral Steroids may not be necessary. High dose betahsitine (Vertin) may help. Other options are HBOT (Hyper-Baric Oxygen Therapy), Meniette Device, Transtympanic steroid or Gentamicin injections, Sac Decompression Surgery.

3. There is initially a hearing loss in the lower frequencies in Meniere's Disease (slope to left). Get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) done.

4. BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) is a common type of peripheral vertigo. It leads to dizziness after change of position and activity. Cervical Spine X-rays may help.

5. A doctor can, under direct examination, look for abnormal eye movements (nystagmus), test the hearing, balance and neurological system to ascertain whether the dizziness is central (brain related) or peripheral (inner ear related). It is good to hear that your barin and chest CT scans are normal. There are many causes for such dizziness. These will have to be excluded by a doctor who specializes in treating cases of vertigo and dizziness.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.