Diagnosed with MS. What could be the reason for pain in left side of shoulder and numbness in fingers?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
a few nights ago i had some pain on my upper left side shoulder. kind of right behind my arm pit. as the days progress the pain is becoming unbearable and moving my arm is hard and even just sitting here i feel like someone is crushing right behind my arm pit. and it itches as if a bruise is healing. i never hit it, just woke with the pain and thought i slept wrong. however in the middle of the night my arm adn fingers are numb. I was diagnoised with MS on XXXXXXX 3rd
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibly a trapped nerve or related to MS. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. There may be two possible causes of your pain. You may have a trapped nerve in your neck. This would give pain and numbness particularly on moving your arm. Alternatively, this may be related to your MS. Therefore, an MRI would help with the diagnosis so you may wish to discuss this with your doctor. Nerve conduction studies may also help to make the diagnosis. Ibuprofen may help the pain particularly if it is caused by a trapped nerve which is inflamed. I hope this is of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA