Diagnosed with MRSA infection and taking kelflex and sulfamethoxazole. Suggestions?

my daughter went to the er this morning and was diagnosed with either a staph/mrsa infection and given the meds kelflex and sulfamethoxazole and told if she was not better by tomorrow night to go back to be admitted. I have read that methicillin is best antibiotic available to treat this. Do you think it is safe to wait until tomorrow evening to see if the condition gets any better. Also that there is a 2 hr drug test available to see if it the condition is drug resistant. We are worried....what is your suggestion
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

The decision on treatment really depends on the extent of the infection. If a small part of the body is involved then it would be reasonable to use these medications to help keep the infection under control.

Sometimes Bactrim Alone can be used to treat a infection involving this type of bacteria. Methicillin is a possibility but this medication is not as readily available as Bactrim. The cephalexin is effective against skin infections but is not as effective against MRSA as Bactrim.

I don't think any special testing needs to be done at this time. I think very close observation is effective enough in order to tell you and your doctors if the antibiotic is working effectively.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga