Diagnosed with MRSA in groin area. Have swollen ankle and joint pain. Are these related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had a swollen ankle for Six months with severe joint pain and limp. Recently diagnosed with MRSA in groin area where I have a large plaque Dr's tell me there is no association with MRSA and joint damage but I think the Two seem to be related. I have had an Xray and told there is slight ostioarthritis but not enough to cause the pain and limping. I have been to 4 Doctors and emergency but no
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
The swelling and pain in the ankle severe enough to cause a limp can be related to chronic osteomyelitis caused by a chronic infection in the area. It can be related to MRSA.
You need to get an MRI scan of the joint done and consult an orthopedician for proper diagnosis. Proper systemic antibiotics will help in decreasing the symptoms.
1) Give complete rest to the affected part.
2) Avoid bearing weight on the limb(standing, walking, etc.)
3) You may use a walker to avoid putting a direct pressure on the limb.
Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your physician meanwhile.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with MRSA in groin area. Have swollen ankle and joint pain. Are these related? 12 minutes later
Many thanks...will take this print out to a Doctor. Very helpful. best Regards!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
You are welcome.
Please keep me informed regarding the progress.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards