Diagnosed with MGUS. Have anemia and low white cells. Blood test done. Required treatment?

I was diagnosed with MGUS march of 2012. Now I have anemia and white cells below the line as well as platelets. Just took a lab blood test and my beta-2 is now
at 3.1. Just wondering if that value alone indicates advancement mm? I am a male 72 yrs old.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for sending your question.

As you know, having MGUS Does carry a small risk of progression to multiple myeloma. It is very difficult to predict how long this might take or if it will ever happen.

However, in your case if you have evidence of anemia or a low platelet count this is something which does potentially indicate that there is evidence of progression of the MGUS to myeloma.

I assume that your doctor has been checking your protein level on a periodic basis as well and I would suspect that the protein level may be trending higher.

In the field of hematology and oncology we have several medications which are very effective in keeping this disorder under control. I would strongly recommend that you discuss the potential therapeutic options with your primary hematologist.

The hematologist may also consider performing a beta 2 is a consideration but this is only a small part of the bigger picture of what might be going on.

Also I think it would be reasonable for you to have x-rays of all of the bones in your body to make sure there is no evidence that the protein has caused weakening of your bones. This can occur in the setting of myeloma.

The medications which we have available are well-tolerated even in the setting of advanced age. I think a thorough consultation and discussion with your hematologist is something you should try to schedule in the near future.

Thank you so much for sending your question. I am happy to address any specific concerns you might have otherwise.

Dr. Galamaga