Diagnosed with MCTD. Help food and exercise before seeing rheumatologist?

Yes. My husband has been diagnosed with MCTD this passed month and I need to help him with exercise choices and food choices. He has only had his GP diagnosis right now, and is 'in line' to see the rheumatologist. BUt he is in the middle of a 'flare' and thinking of giving up golf.. but he hasn't got any info about his exercise options beyond that. Is there any info I can give him to help his food and exercise before seeing the rheumatologist?
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
MCTD is a chronic autoimmune disorder.
The weakness of muscle is due to antibodies to muscle fibres, so its better to take rest and do mild exercises like walking, breathing exercise and stretching exercise.

Regarding diet, give him semisolid food which can be easily swallowed and after food he must sit upright or walk for at least one hour before going to bed.

This will prevent the chances of aspiration.
There is no particular diet which can help or which needs to be avoided.

Please XXXXXXX the rheumatologist and get his treatment started.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you