Diagnosed with Lung Cancer. What are the side effects of ingestion of cannabinoids and marijuana with chemotherpy?

My mother has been diagnosed with Stage 3 Lung Cancer. My main question is there any contraindications with the sub-lingual ingestion of cannabinoids with her chemotherapy? Her cocktail consists of Taxol and Teraplatin.

What are the risks associated with the use of marijuana as a complementary therapy or for the use as an antiemetic? Will the therapy interfere with conventional treatment? Do the known benefits outweigh the risks?

Thank you!
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later

Cannabinoids are well known for their beneficial effects on chemotherapy-induced vomiting, appetite and pain-relief. In a review of >1000 patients, cannabinoids were found to be more effective than the conventional antiemetics. Somehow they are not very popular but they definitely are active in reducing these symptoms.

Side effects may include a feeling of being high, euphoria, sedation or drowsiness, dizziness, depression, hallucinations and low BP. Overall they are relatively harmless and these manifestations subside if the drug is stopped. I would say that benefits outweigh the risks.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further follow-up queries, if any.