Diagnosed with IBS and having bouts of abdominal pain. Hiatal hernia was found in colonoscopy. Suggest treatment

I am a 74 year old female diagnosed with IBS years ago. Relatively good health, normal weight, blood pressure and don't smoke. Try to eat healthy and exercise. Lately, I have had bouts of abdominal pain, enormous distention, pressure, occasional vomiting, lethargic and recently experienced lots of stress. No meds except Prilosec and zocor. Had colonoscopy and upper endoscopy five years ago, found hiatal hernia, gastritis and diverticulosis. Don't know where to go next as I've been to several GI people and same dx: IBS. Had vaginal ultrasound three yrs. ago and found nothing. Help!
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Abdominal problems are due to intestinal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

From the details provided, you seem to have an intestinal/stomach infection due to a bacteria called H.pylori. The condition gets aggravated if the diet does not contain lots of dietary fibers. A-10 days' course of anti-H.pylori; intake of high fiber diet, addition of Psyllium husk/powder(a stool-bulking agent) and probiotics (lactobacilli); plateful of salads will relieve you of the abdominal symptoms.

The other possible cause of abdominal problems can be diverticular infection. However, the anti-H.pylori course will take care of it simultaneously.

In addition, regular intake of anti-depressants + anti-anxiety drugs curb mental stress. IBS flares up by stress, emotional upsets, anxiety or wide mood swings.

You are therefore advised that you consult your doctor/Psychiatrist who will prescribe appropriate drugs (as mentioned above) which will keep your IBS under control in future.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further clarifications, I will be happy to answer them

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal