Diagnosed with IBS. Started pain in stomach. Taking dicetel. Any ideas?

i have been diagnosed with IBS after having a colonoscopy, anema (double) and also had surgery for endometriosis. Nothing was found to be wrong with my intestinal track. I live with daily stomach cramps when I eat, painful enough for me to have to bend over, my knees kind of give out. Then the cramps pass and return and the whole process lasts about an hour with cramps ranging from a few seconds to up a minute, sometimes relieved with a BM and sometimes just goes away without a BM. I am currently taking Dicetel and also Caltrate (I have no gallbladder).

The thing is..every once in awhile (3 to 4 times a year), the cramps are so extreme I just lie on the floor and can barely breathe. I can't move, can't talk, sweat will drip down my face and body. I call these my 'episodes' that come on suddenly, last a couple of hours and are always relieved with a BM that starts out looking fine and ends up very liquidy. Afterwards I am so drained that all I can do is crawl to the sofa and sleep. My stomach is 'sensitive' afterwards for about a day. Lingering pain and weakness.

I really don't know what to do or who to see anymore. I am told this is IBS but I haven't read anywhere that IBS can be a near death experience! I'm just not convinced. I am lactose intolerant and stay clear of all dairy products. I don't eat any grease because I don't have a gallbladder. My weight is at 96 pounds and I'm 5'4''. Was also tested for Crohn's, not that either. Any other ideas?
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 3 hours later
Thanks for the detailed history

The description you have provided is in such a good detail that it becomes easy for anyone to diagnose your problem. As you have been already diagnosed correctly. the characteristic feature of IBS is that symptoms comes and go and the cramps are relieved with bowel movements.
The treatment of IBS is symptomatic and supportive including life style modification and diet changes along with some medications. life style changes include correction of sleeping habits and regular exercise. diet changes include avoidance of diets like caffeine, tea and carbonated drinks. increase use of dietary fibers like XXXXXXX vegetables or fruits. avoid large meals and take frequent small meals.
medication includes use of anticholinergic like dicyclomine half an hour before meals to prevent intestinal spasm and enhance bowel movements, tricyclic antidepressants like amitryptilline to relieve intestinal pain. laxatives for constipation and antidiarrheal for diarrhea.

if you still have some query, feel free to ask

Follow-up: Diagnosed with IBS. Started pain in stomach. Taking dicetel. Any ideas? 44 minutes later
My excrutiating cramps greatly diminished today after several bm yet cramps still come and go more than 12 hours after this whole thing began. I just went again and although I can't call it a bm because it's really just a very small 'puddle' about 2 tablespoons, it is heavy red. Getting worried. Should I see a doctor tomorrow morning?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 8 hours later
Thanks for the reply

The red stools may be due to blood from the intestine. send the stool for examination of occult blood. The cramps arise to intestinal spasm therefore the gastric pro-kinetics drugs are used for the motility enhancing. It will be better to see the doctor as for intestinal bleeding you may require steroid enema. Also with bleeding your Hemoglobin levels will decrease so, also have a complete blood count test.

If you still have some queries, feel free to ask