Diagnosed with IBS. Not cured by allopathy or homeopathy medicine. History of bronchial asthma. Any cure?

I got diagnosed for IBS about 4 years back. Main symptoms, very frequent motion sensation, sense of incomplete stool passing, having to use lot of effort to pass motion, stomach bloating, anxiety, head ache, sense of weakness .

I tried the medication prescribed by the Allopathy doctor for some time back then, but dint find any improvement in my condition.

Meanwhile, I was advised to try Homeopathy medicine for IBS, which I have been using for 3 and half years now.

Since I started using homeopathy medicine. I was prescribed to avoid oily food, milk, milk products, spicy food and masalas, and to have more of seasonal fruits and food in small meals. I have been following these since then.

My general health state has improved. Started feeling healthy and strong, anxiety levels reduced, stomach bloating also came down.

But, the frequency of passing motion is still 4-5 times a day, need to go the motion after every meal or otherwise 4-5 hours.

The bloating is very much there. Still need to use lot of effort to pass motion, no sense of completeness of the motion.

And most annoying symptom is, whenever I XXXXXXX any person, the sense of motions sets in and stomach starts bloating and stinking.

My medical history is, I have Bronchial asthma from the age of 8 yrs. I still use inhaler for asthma.

I really in need to improve this situation. I don't know what medicines out there to treat my disease and to reduce the symptoms.

please help me with this.
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Irritable bowel syndrome is a difficult disease to treat. Sometimes some things work for some patients and sometimes it doesn't. The good news it that it is not a life threatening illness and doesn't cause any long term problems. The best solution to IBS lies outside medical field (allopathy or homeopathy). What works the best is a good lifestyle, stress free life with normal food and bowel habits, a little bit of meditation and relaxation and lots of patience with the illness. There is no magic cure or sureshot medication in any field whether conventional or alternative medicine.

Having said that, we can still help you symptom wise. But first please let me know the following :

1. Have you lost any weight ?
2. Are you passing large amount of motion or it it small frequent motions ? also what is the consistency of the motion- is it watery, semi solid or normal consistency ?
3. Is there any blood in motion ?

If there is weight loss or blood in motion we need to evaluate further. Also we can go for a hydrogen breath test (sometimes patients with IBS develop increase growth of intestinal bacteria which can be diagnosed by the above test and can be easily treated with antibiotics)

Finally I would advise you to take lots of fiber in diet. Commercial fiber preparations are also available which would add bulk to the stool and help in clean and complete bowel motions. Again you need to be patient, and give time for dietary fibers to work - it generally takes 2-3 weeks before its advantages kick in. Fibers are natural and healthy solution to IBS with constipation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani