Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. Is Armour thyroid or Erfa thyroid better medication?

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's disease) and have currently the option between Armour Thyroid, Erfa Thyroid and compounded thyroid. Which one should I choose? I have read that many patients have problems with Armour since it was recently reformulated. Erfa I don't know that much about. I know even less about compounded thyroid. Could you please give me your opinion?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 4 hours later

Thank you for the query.

An endocrinologist will typically recommend levothyroxine. This is a prescription medication that is the scientifically sound way to replace the deficient hormone in the human body.

Please consult your endocrinologist for a prescription for the same.

The ideal dose varies from person to person and a blood test for TSH in a laboratory is extremely useful in determining the appropriate dose.

Armor thyroid and other such formulations are deemed unsafe by the endocrine fraternity. The position of endocrinologists in this regard is well summarized on this weblink WWW.WWWW.WW
Armor and compounded thyroid preparations have variable and often unregulated amounts of thyroid hormones which can potentially have detrimental effects.

It is helpful to adhere to one brand of levothyroxine as much as possible, for consistency sake.

Hope I have answered your query completely. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.