Diagnosed with Hepatitus C. Taking Alpha Lipoic Acid. What to do?

Yes. My wife was diagnosed with Hepatitus C about 1 year ago. She got when she was a teenager from drug injection one time. She is 54 now and is going to Dr. Berkson in Las Cruces, NM for her first appointment next month. He uses Alpha Lipoic Acid as part of his therapy. We have heard he has had good results in his holistic approach. My wife does not seem all that sick. She feels good 25% of the time then she gets fatigued. . She does not think she can handle the interferon therapy.(As you probably know half who start it have to give it up due to such miserable reactions.) What do you think from what I have told you? Thanks, XXXXXXX XXXX
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She should be evaluated and treated

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

If She is have only cirrhosis and her complete hemogram is normal then She can tolerate pegylated intreferon therapy well. So I will like to advise to get complete hemogram, liver function tests, ultrasound abdomen, hepatitis B (HBsAg), serum creatinine, HCVRNA (quantitative) and Genotype, TSH (for thyroid function tests) and may be endoscopy to see for portal hypertension. If these all are normal then I think She should be treated with pegylated intreferon and ribavarin. Because the therapy will prevent her from developing cirrhosis and liver cancer. So get these investigation and upload the reports to see for suitability for therapy. However if any report is abnormal She can be optimized for therapy, moreover low dose therapy is also possible. So need not to worry.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon
Follow-up: Diagnosed with Hepatitus C. Taking Alpha Lipoic Acid. What to do? 8 minutes later
I did not feel I got a reply concerning the alpha lipoic acid therapy and I know all the tests you mentioned will be run. But for now what about the alpha lipoic acid? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alpha lipoic acid is beneficial in liver disease

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Alpha lipoic acid is a good antioxidant and no doubt it is used in liver disease with a beneficial effect. However doesn't have any antiviral activity that is against Heptitis C virus