Diagnosed with Hepatitis c. HIV test came indeterminate. Any suggestion?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi I am positive for Hepatitis c my results were < 11.0 0.0-9 . What does it mean am I high for it or can my viral load go down or what is the case here im really scared Then they did a hiv test on me it came back indeterminte with p24 p51 p55 gp40 would the hepatitis virus interfere with my hiv test help me out here ....
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hepatitis C and HIV differentiation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing Health care magic.

I have gone through your query and I would like to discuss few details about Hepatitis C and HIV.

Diagnosis of Hepatitis C is by detection of anti HCV antibodies by ELISA or testing viral load by PCR.

Viral load of anything more than 800,000 IU/ml is considered high viral load.

There are reports of false positive HIV ELISA with conditions involving the liver like cirrhosis, alcoholic hepatitis, vaccines for hepatitis C etc.

Any HIV test which comes indeterminate has to be repeated after two weeks, 1 month and three months for confirmation of HIV status.

I would suggest a repeat of HIV test for confirmation.

I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily.