Diagnosed with Hepatitis E. Elevated ALP levels. Can I take normal diet?

Question
my alp level is 154 and alt is 54. I dignosed for hepatitis E 3 monts ago. Am i normal now and can take normal diet.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later

Since your alkaline phosphatase (ALP) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT) levels are still higher than the normal range, I would suggest that you take a light diet that you were recommended when you developed the infection initially. This would include a high carbohydrate diet, a moderate intake of fat and about 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight ( so its 70grams, if your weight is 70 kg), plenty of vitamins and a reduced amount of salt. Also please avoid food and water from outside.
These enzymes are actually markers of injury to the liver and since they are elevated, it indicates that the liver has not completely recovered from the damage yet. Since the liver plays an important role in digestion, having a heavy diet would mean putting a load on the liver.

To prevent re infection from Hep E, personal hygiene, boiled food and uncontaminated water holds good.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with Hepatitis E. Elevated ALP levels. Can I take normal diet? 18 hours later
how long HEV infection rest in the body and how long i have to take care of my diet. Can i take milk.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 11 minutes later

Thanks for getting back.

Hepatitis E is typically a self limited disorder (which means it will become ok on its own). The exact period for which the virus rests in the body is not known. You need to take care of your diet till the liver enzymes normalize and for a few weeks after that. You can take milk as of now as well.

You would need to avoid oily food but overall, you can eat anything which is light and homemade.