Diagnosed with Hep B virus. How can she recover? Recommend drugs?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
hi, my sister is 15 years old and she has just been diagnosed with the hep b virus, acute hepatitis b. what are the chances that she would recover from the infection. and is there any drug that can help her with the recovery? thanx
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later

Yes there is a lot which can be done for your sister.

1. If she is in the acute phase of Hepatitis B infection then medications can help. This will be evidenced by the presence of e antigen in the blood as well as the viral load evaluated by Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) testing. If these tests yield positive results then a drug by name lamuvidine can help to a great extent. If successful this can aid in complete recovery from infection.

2. General supportive care is equally important in liver infections.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need any more assistance.

With Regards