Diagnosed with HSV1 and HSV2. Have swollen and itchy lips. What treatment should be done?

I was recently diagnosed with HSV1 and HSV2. As I don't know what to expect from the disease I very frightful. I do get an itchy feeling around my lips. In the left corner of my lips and in the area of my drawline looks like I'm about to get an outbreak and it looks a little swollen in that area. Ever since I got the results in dec 2012. I've been searching on the internet of ways to take care of myself just so I won't get an outbreak, so far I'm doing fine. I have been taking lysine, eating lots more fruits and vegetable, but I feel like one day I will get an outbreak and I am afraid not knowin what to expect.
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

HSV1 is very common in the population, up to 57 % of persons are infected with that virus and approximately 16% with HSV2.
Normally when a person is about to have an acute episode of HSV, they experience initial discomfort in the mouth (for HSV1 ) or genitalia (for HSV2).
Some persons may have numbness or tingling sensation.
This is followed by redness and the rash.
The rash usually first appears as small water bumps on a raised surface (in some cases of HSV1 , if the lip is involved, it may become swollen). The lesions are usually mildly uncomfortable.
They then burst to form small superficial ulcers which would then heal, usually there are no significant resultant scars.

HSV1 lesions can affect the lips, inside the mouth, below the nose. HSV1 can also cause genital herpes but the lesions are usually not as severe and do not recur as often.
HSV2 affects the genitalia, in some episodes the rash can extend towards the anus.

If you experience significant and severe outbreaks then you can consider suppressive therapy to reduce the chances of an episode and to reduce shedding of the virus.
You can discuss the use of suppressive therapy with your doctor.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
Follow-up: Diagnosed with HSV1 and HSV2. Have swollen and itchy lips. What treatment should be done? 25 minutes later
I am experiencing a couple of tiny blisters on the top of my lip and below my nose. one or two on different areas of my body. I am not experiencing any on my genitals. My lip a bit swollen and the side of my right face not too far from the corner of my mouth below my cheek bone. what should I do? I use desitin which helps. Should I go see my PCP?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 hours later

The blisters would generally resolve on their own, you can try creams which may decrease the time that the lesions last. Two such creams are zovirax and acyclovir.
You PCP would likely prescribe these for you.

Feel free to ask any additional questions