Diagnosed with HSV 2. Get occasional outbreaks. Medicines to reduce them?

Hi, I have questions about HSV 2. I had a few outbreaks during 2010, so I had lab work completed in 2010 which showed I have HSV2. I'm still occasionally having outbreaks and would like to get the meds to help reduce outbreaks. Can I provide the lab work and get a prescription for Valtrex immediately from you online?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

HSV2 is a common viral infection. There is no doubt that some patients are affected more than others in terms of frequency of outbreaks. It is completely acceptable to have a patient on a suppressive dose of 500mg once per day for suppression of these frequent outbreaks. It sounds like you are a candidate for such therapy.

On this site, we cannot give out prescriptions. You can easily get a prescription from a clinic such as a Planned Parenthood or even from a Nurse Practitioner (they will be back in Walgreens locations soon). I would consider either of these options if you have no insurance or have no access to a Primary doctor. The final option would be to go to an Urgent Care setting with your next outbreak and ask them for the script for the acute infection as well as one for suppressive therapy.

I hope that this helps and I am sorry that we cannot give out prescriptions online.