Diagnosed with HSV 1. Developed blisters after unprotected vaginal sex. Had painful blisters on tongue. Suggestions?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Hello Doctor. I am a 50 y.o female diagnosed w/ HSV 1 and 2 last month. 10 days after unprotected vaginal sex and fellatio with a regular partner I developed blister clusters on my genitals. 5 days later I had painful blisters on my tongue, a thick yellow coating, and inflamed painful circumvallate papillae. Went to urgent care MD who said none of it appeared herpetic (I didn't go to doctor until one week after tongue eruption began because I was trying the denial method 1st!). She also said it was not possible to become infected in both oral and genital areas from same exposure, nor likely the oral would follow behind the genital outbreak. She did blood work to rule out HSV and other STDs. Then.....BOOM!......HSV 1 AND 2 were positive. She told me come back at 1st sign of recurrence to swab sores. 2 days ago the tongue erupted again, papillae excruciatingly painful and enlarged, multiple fissures, line of blisters down middle of tongue and furry yellow coating. (Took pictures). Got throat and tongue swabbed, results due next week. Aside from emotional devastation I am horribly confused. My main question is this: Is it possible to become infected orally and genitally simultaneously since I performed fellatio on him as well as had sex? And is it possible to transmit HSV 2 from genitals to mouth? (We did not kiss that night, nor Did he perform oral sex on me. We see each only a/b once a month which is how I am very clear on the days btw possible exposure and symptoms) I've been involved sexually with him for 2+ years and prior to that a 15 year monogamous relationship, no other sexual partners.(He has). I've researched HSV extensively so I know he may have one or both and no symptoms, and there can be a long period after exposure to having initial outbreak. I just can't believe severe outbreaks and timing are coincidence. Its just as hard to understand this happening out of the blue after so many sexual encounters over a 2 I/2 year period. I am making an appt. with an ID doctor once I get lab results and need more answers before speaking to him or my ex. And obviously no sexual activity! Sorry for the long post. I am so devastated by this, plus I can't sleep from the pain. Any assistance or advice or theory you could offer would be so very appreciated. Thank you
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

1. It is quite unusual to have HSV infection simultaneously over genitals and oral cavity. But there is no reference in any text that it cannot occur simultaneously.
2. HSV 2 will not infect oral mucosa normally.
So it is possible that your genital lesions are due to HSV 2 infection, whereas your oral lesions may be due to HSV 1.
3. As you denied any sort of kissing and oral sex on you, it could be a reactivation of an old HSV 1 infection in your body. HSV 1 infection is such a common menace to anybody from childhood on wards.
Then some other rare non-venrereal conditions like Bechet' disease are there manifesting with oro-genital lesions.
Probably it may be revealed by the test results.
Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan