Diagnosed with H pylori. Severe acid reflux, pain in the back and chest. Taking antibiotics and omeprazole. Is this due to aneurysm?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have just been diagnosed with H.pylori and have been suffering severe acid reflux and long term pain in back and chest (i thought i was having a heart attack last week-end - I am female and 59)..tenderness too in the upper left quadrant. i have just been prescribed two antibiotics and omeprazole and told by GP that i may feel sick and unwell. My eldest son was recently diagnosed with a haitus hernia and had the same symptons as me (he didn't have H.pylori) so is it possible that Itoo have this because i find it hard to believe that this very common bacteria is alone in causing such bad pain in my back/chest. Prior to this recent diagnosis I had not associated the back pain with the acid reflux and my appointment with the GP was only for the pain (you cannot discuss more than one disorder at any one appointmant) in my back so was surprised whhen she suggested it could be my oesophogus that was causing you agree? I had been thinking that i might have an aneurism although i did not mention this to her. thankyou.. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Your symptoms could be related to hiatus hernia but an aneurysm is a less likely possibility.
Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
Consulting a gastroenterologist will help in confirming the diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.