Diagnosed with Graves disease, treated with Radioactive Iodine. Have hypothyroid condition. How to loose weight?

Endo Condition: Good afternoon, Eight years ago I was diagnosed with Graves, treated with Radioactive Iodine and went from a hyperthyroid to hypothyroid condition. I have been treated with Levothyroxine and Levothroid from the start. The Levothroid medication addition was considered to be progressive 8 years ago. I am now told that I should drop this medication and continue with Levothyroxine only. Problem is that after the weight yo-yo effect stabilized after radioactive iodine therapy, it reset to about 50 pounds higher than before my Graves condition and has stayed there all these years give or take a few pounds as medication dosages were adjusted after testing every 3 to 4 months.

Question is how do I lose this weight before other health related issues (heart disease/diabetes/cholesterol etc.) become a bigger problem as I age? I am being treated for high blood pressure which began before my Graves Disease and my cholesterol has fluctuated with my weight. Blood sugar is normal within limits. I am careful with my diet and an active person (walk briskly 3 to 5 times weekly/non-smoker/non-alchohol drinker) and vegetarian (no fish/meat/chicken etc.). Need HELP please!
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stabilize thyroid dose

Detailed Answer:
It is a good idea to stay on levothyroxine alone. Have your endocrinologist adjust the dose to target a TSH in the range of 0.4 to 2 with Free T4 in the high normal range. I suggest these general broad targets based on the information you have provided that you do not have any conditions other than the ones you have listed. The reason I emphasize this is that in those with angina or irregular heart rhythm or osteoporosis, lower levothyroxine doses are given as the targets a tad lenient compared to the numbers I mentioned above.

Also, if brand name levothyroxine is not expensive for you, then prefer to adhere to one brand.

Once your thyroid is well regulated then lifestyle modification is the only way to maintain your body weight and health.I see you are in reasonable health overall. Eating healthy food choices and in moderation, along with exercise are the best way to preserve health long term