Diagnosed with Gastritis, given Lansoprozale. Blood test negative for H.pyelori. Further treatment?

I was diagnosed with Gastritis, I was given Lansoprozale 30mg for it but it doesn't seem to help.
Blood test for H.pyelori came out negative.
Doctor recommended to do a camera test. Is it really necessary? What other medication can help?
Thank you
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Thanks for sharing your concerns,

The stomach upset caused by Gastritis commonly related to consumption of NSAID (Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Ibuprofen, Diclofenac or Aspirin, Coffee and alcohol consumption.
It is also caused by H. Pylori infection this is negative in your case.

Antacids neutralize stomach acid and can provide fast pain relief, Lansoprazole or other PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitors) are very effective in treatment.

Cytoprotective agents like Sucralfate and misoprostol and bismuth subsalicylate are other agents which can be used in combination. In diet please avoid, coffee, alcohol, calcium (Milk) in diet.

Endoscopy is very useful investigation if your symptoms are not improved to know exact diagnosis. I think you should consider going for this test.

Hope this information is useful to you, if you have any follow up query please ask I will be happy to help.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with Gastritis, given Lansoprozale. Blood test negative for H.pyelori. Further treatment? 2 hours later
If Lansoprazole did not help could it be that changing to Cytoprotective medication can help as a try before doing a endoscopy.
Could you please provide a specific name (brand) of this type of medication that you recommend that can be found in a pharmacy.
Could doing an endoscopy diagnose more specifically the problem and according medication would be given. Basically, what are the advantages of doing the endoscopy.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 6 hours later
Thanks for your follow up,

Endoscopy is very useful investigation in upper G.I (Gastrointestinal) problems.
It can give objectively if there is any duodenal or gastric ulcer, hiatus hernia and even biopsy can be taken for H. Pylori and suspicious ulcer.

Once the exact diagnosis is made it can be treated accordingly.

Antacids may be available OTC (Over the Counter) but for other drugs Misoprostol and Sucralfate are useful especially in drug induced Gastritis.
If there is reflux and hiatus hernia prokinetic drugs needs to be used.

Please consult your Physician to get proper prescription as it would be unethical to prescribe without examination.

Hope this helps, I will be available for clarification if any.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.