Diagnosed with Gall Bladder Stone. How to get rid of stones without removing gall bladder?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
My sister in law is diagnosed with Gall Bladder Stone of 3 mm. How to get rid of it, without removing Gall Bladder. Persistent pain from 1month. She has done tests of MRI, MRCP , Ultra Sound, LFT. Blood Serum, CBC.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 57 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

For your understanding let me give you some facts about gallbladder disease

Gallbladder stones are to be taken care of because if they drain through the common bile duct [CBD] and obstruct it, Obstructive jaundice occurs

Obstructive jaundice is a difficult situation to manage as if the institute does not have a setup for ERCP a major open or Laparoscopic surgery is needed

Smaller the stone, greater are the chances of it going in to CBD
It is presumed that stone of around one cm and above are safe as far as far as obstructive jaundice is considered

There are chances a 3mm stone may get drained through the CBD in to the duodenum and in case it gets obstructed it can be easily removed by an ERCP

If there is persistent pain there are chances of inflammation but that can be judged from the reports only

If there is no inflammation of the gallbladder you may wait and observe

You may attach the reports for further evaluation

Hope I have replied to your satisfaction, Am available for followup queries

Wishing you sister in law a speedy recovery