Diagnosed with FSGS. Asked to have AF kit for infection chances. Is it safe to take?

Hi iam 35 years old and was diagnosed with FSGS 4 years back,have changed my lifestyle completely and have been able to control my BP and weight,i have been rescently told to have AF kit due to an infection which my wife is suffering is it advisable to take the medication or avoid,what is the alternative
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

AF kit is advised in case of vaginal infections- mostly fungal. The infection has a high rate of recurrence if the partner is not adequately treated.

It is best to treat both the partners simultaneously. Since it is only a single dose kit, it is best to take it as advised to you by the gynecologist for your wife's best health. There is no other alternative except for taking the anti fungal drugs.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with FSGS. Asked to have AF kit for infection chances. Is it safe to take? 13 hours later
Thanks Doc for replying!!!!

I definately appreciate that the kit is required to be taken by bot the partners to cure the infection.

Since iam suggering from FSGS which is a kindney condition,the document along with the kit says people with hypertension should avoind taking this or consult there doc's that is waht i wanted to check can i take this medicine is it safe for me due to my kidney condition.

please suggest your views
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

AF Kit can aggravate hypertension if taken on a long term basis. A single dose is not likely to produce any significant effect on your renal functions.

Still you can consult your treating Nephrologist for a second opinion. He may decide that the benefits outweigh the risks in your circumstances and after a careful assessment of your specific health situation can prescribe it.

Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.