Diagnosed with Essential Tremor, taking primadone but no help and it affects hands, had botox injection. Suggest?

I have been diagnosed with Essential Tremor. I am taking 275 mg of primadone, but it doesn't seem to work.
The main area it affects is my hands. Simple things like holding a fork, using a knife, writing - that sort of thing.
I have had botox injections for my head, which seems to shake occasionally.
Is there anything else except DBS, which my doctor isn't sure it will help as my condition is mainly in my hands.
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Essential Tremor

Detailed Answer:
Hello.Delighted to be able to help.
The drug that you are taking, Primadone, maximum dose used for essential tremor is greater than current dosage, your neurologist should value up the dose. Another effective drug widely used in the treatment of essential tremor is Propanolol.There is also the option of combining both drugs.
Other drugs (less effective) but also used to treat essential tremor are Topiramate and Gabapentin.Also sometimes are used anxiolytics as Alprazolam or Clonazepam added to any of the above mentioned drugs.
If pharmacological treatment is not effective, an option of treatment without surgery is the Transcranial magnetic stimulation but their results are uncertain.
I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.