Diagnosed with Dercums Syndrome. Treatment?

Oncologist, Surgical
I have been diagnosed with Dercums Syndrome. Are there any doctors who are experienced in this rare disease and can provide treatment options ? I live in NYC, NY.
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Disease is benign

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Dercum' s disease is characterised by multiple lipomas over the body. There is no risk of malignancy. All the lipomas need not be removed. Only those that are large or those causing distressing symptoms such as pain need to be removed. Alternative treatments are available but the evidence is not very strong. Inttalesional injection of steroids such as Methylprednisolone might provide substantial temporary relief. Non steroidal antiinflammatory agents are also useful.