Diagnosed with Dengue and drop in platelet count, BP normal. Precautions to take?

Feb 2013

hi my daughter XXXXXXX who is seven years old is diagnosed with Dengue fever positive on last saturday night, her platelet at that time was 0000 and on yesterday night it has been decreased to 0000. she has not got the fever during yesterday night till today at about 1.30 PM, her BP is also normal, request you to guide me suitably as to what precautions i should take care so that her platelet increase fast, currently she is admitted in a children specialist's hospital under the supervision of a MD pediatric. i am really worried, please guide me suitably on all the precautions to be taken so that she can get well soon
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Maintain her hydration and nutrition.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

In the initial days of Dengue fever, there is a drop of platelet count due to destruction of platelets in the blood stream.

Even there is no fever, the platelet count will drop so daily testing for platelet count is required.

But once the child starts recovering from the illness, there will be rise in the platelet count on its own.

Once the virus is cleared from the body, the platelets will raise gradually and reach to normal levels. No specific diet is known to increase the platelet count, but maintaining her nutrition and hydration will fasten the recovery.

Try to give a well balanced soft diet to maintain her nutrition. Continue to give her juices what you are giving her currently to maintain the hydration of the child.

Her temperature, activity, vital parameters including pulse, blood pressure, and hydration to be monitored at hospital to watch for any complications of Dengue fever like low blood pressure, hypovolemia, and shock.

Daily testing to look for platelet count will be done. Observe the child for any bleeding manifestations.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with Dengue and drop in platelet count, BP normal. Precautions to take? 5 hours later
Dear Sir, thanks for your reply, i would also like to know whether the drop in platelet is for about how many days after the treatment, in other words, do it drop gradually for 2 or 3 days and then increases, is it a usual phenomenon, i shall share the platelet count with you for the report which shall be done at 10 PM today, Also today i see the red spots on her skin has increased compared to yesterday, what do it indicate ?, the itching was much more in the morning but now reduced to a great extent but the red spots are still there.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drop of platelets may continue for 3 to 5 days.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

Drop in platelet count will continue for 3 to 5 days after temperature touches to normal but it may vary form one individual to another.

And the platelet count raises as the child starts recovering. This type of decreasing and increasing trend in platelet count is seen in Dengue fever.

The red spots on her skin are called petechiae and occur due to bleeding into skin because of low platelet count. As the platelet count decreases the number of red spots may increase.

Red spots also tend to decrease once the platelet count increases.

Itching is known to occur in Dengue fever and it can be treated symptomatically with oral antihistamine and local application of calamine lotion as per the instructions of her pediatrician.

And I wish your daughter a speedy recovery.