Diagnosed with Dementia. Started having hallucinations. Is it alarming?

my mother lives alone and has been diagnosed with dementia, she has 4 children that work full time and provide as much care as we can, she has recently started talking to photos of grandchildren as if they are real when she is alone is this something we should be alarmed about
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 13 hours later

From the information given to me it looks like she has hallucinations along with dementia.

Hallucinations can occur for all the senses (sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste, and perception of our body), though visual hallucinations are thought to be the most common type experienced by people with dementia.

Hallucinations can be the result of the changes that dementia causes in the brain, but they can also be the result of health and medical problems, such as infections, fatigue, or nutrition. Hallucinations can be also be due to side effects of the medicines used for treatment of dementia.

So I personally recommend you to consult with a doctor in order to best understand why your loved one is hallucinating or having delusions and whether medication is indicated. Till then explain calmly what is happening, to see she can take in this information and retain it. If not, try repeating it when the person is more rested and calm.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist