Diagnosed with Colitis. Took different antibiotics. Got blood in stool. Cause and cure?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I was diagnosed with Colitis on November 17 after a cat scan at the ER and was sent home. I could not eati anything for several days and have had cramping pain on a daily basis since then. I took two different antibiotics for 10 days. The only day I noticed bleeding was on the 17th and it was bright red and would come out when I got out of and go down my leg without having a BM. I spoke with a GI doctor on the phone two weeks ago and he told me I had ischemic coltis and was probably about 60% well and it could take some time. He called me in a RX to help with cramping that I put under my tongue he also called in a laxative for me to take and to make sure I empty everyday. I feel my best usually between 9 and 2 pm and then I start cramping feels like gas filling up and have no energy Finally I will eliminate and after awhile I will feel better. My stool was orange for 2 days a couple of weeks ago now it is a normal brown color but the last 2 days it has black and a few red dots in it. What does that mean? How long can it take to get over this?
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 6 hours later

Well, your symptoms do suggest it could be ischemic colitis but it is difficult to be 100% sure even after a Cat scan is done. You may need to undergo stool tests to look for pus cells and infections in stools.

Also, if you have no vomiting and abdominal distention it may be reasonable to do a colonoscopy to be sure that, we are not dealing with other infective causes or inflammatory bowel disease like ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease.

If you have severe ischemic colitis, then we may need to do a CT Angiography and look for any obstruction in the mesenteric vessels. If they have critical blocks, then they may need stenting of these blocks to relieve ischemia.

I think you can discuss these issues with your doctor.

Continue taking the stool softener and mild antispasmodic. If the bleeding stops, you may need anti - platelet agents along. We also need to work out what was the cause of ischemic bowel.

Hope this answers your query. Please do reply in case of any further questions.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with Colitis. Took different antibiotics. Got blood in stool. Cause and cure? 4 hours later
What is a reasonable time frame for the daily cramping to stop and how long can I wait to have a colonoscopy I am trying to wait untl the end of January when my health insurance is in effect. What danger signs should I be aware of while I am healing? I am currently eating fish, XXXXXXX baked chicken, some fiber, lots of vegetables watermelon, water and Cantelope as my diet. I tried two pieces of roast beef 4 days ago and hurt for the entire next day.

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Truly speaking, there is no actual time frame for pain but with time it may settle with a tendency to relapse. Also if you have severe pain, bleeding, fever or vomiting you may need to report to ER. Avoid high fiber diet it may precipitate pain.
Also if you are losing too much of weight then you need to get colonoscopy done.
Hope this answers your query.
Please do reply in case of any further questions.
Wish you a speedy recovery.