Diagnosed with Carcinoma Left retromolar trigone. Radiotherapy was recommended. Wanted a second opinion on radio therapy?

My father diagnosed with 'Carcinoma Left retromolar trigone (CT2N1M0'and he underwent the surgery on 15th July. Based on his post operation biopsy the doctors are recommending radio therapy.

I have two questions
1) I wanted to take second opinion on if the radiation therapy is absolutely needed.
2) Is there anything else that can/needs to be taken care of here.

Thanks in advance,
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 12 hours later
Thanks for your query. Since your father has already undergone surgery it would definitely be necessary to undergo radiation therapy. This is to prevent the local recurrence. Secondly it will take care of the metastasis in the other lymph nodes in the neck.
Secondly before undergoing Radiotherapy if there is any infected or decayed tooth that needs to be removed to prevent bone damage if they come under the radiation field. Your Oncologist will definitely guide you in this regard.
Thirdly a good diet and oral hygiene has to be maintained for better results and less after effects.
Best of luck .
Dr. J. Ticku
Follow-up: Diagnosed with Carcinoma Left retromolar trigone. Radiotherapy was recommended. Wanted a second opinion on radio therapy? 30 hours later

Thanks for your reply. I have attached the post operation biopsy report of my father. When I showed it to a doctor here he said that radiation therapy might not be needed as report is largely good. So wanted to get a second opinion.

Also, is it required/advisable to get the radiation therapy(if needed) done from the same hospital from where the operation was done? Or is it ok to get it done elsewhere as well.

Thanks in advance,
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 39 minutes later
Thanks for reverting. Even though the report is good it is advisable to have Radiation therapy as it will prevent the recurrence which is a common feature after surgery alone..
Regarding where to get the Radiation therapy I suggest to continue in the same hospital if they have the latest machines. The advantage is that they deliver conformal or intensity modulated radiotherapy. You can inquire from the radiation Oncologist of the same hospital if they have. Such machines deliver accurate dose to the tumor site without any appreciable radiation damage to the surrounding normal tissue and patient is comfortable after treatment.
Dr. J. Ticku