Diagnosed with COPD, recommended CPAP machine. Unable to sleep, use oxygen. Suggest?

Cardiac Surgeon
I am diagnosed with copd.. I did a sleep study and the doctor recommended a cpap machine for me. I am having a hard time sleeping with it. (I also use oxygen) I have an appt. with my pulmonologist in the next month. I read that a bi-pap machine might be better than a cpap machine, because it is suppose to allow me to breathe out better. Not sure I understand how it differs. Wondering if a bi-pap machine would be better than cpap? Would need to explain that to my doctor?
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. F. Sadruddin Shariff 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
first of all let me clarify few things
1. COPD is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and CPAP is not the answer to it.

2. Sleep study is done to assess Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome and CPAP helps to a certain extent especially in the absence of COPD and when the OSAS is mild.

3. CPAP is continuous positive airway pressure and as per its name pushes air continuously without any let go for expiration, where as in BIPAP it is Bilevel positive airway pressure, one higher for inspiration and another lower for expiration so that the person need not fight against the pressure of the machine to let go the breath.

Both these machines are used to treat OSAS and what is to be used depends upon co morbid situations such as neuromuscular weakness or COPD etc.

Hence Bipap will be more comfortable than CPAP especially when the respiratory muscles are weak or overworked as may happen in COPD

Trust this has answered your question and you are more clarified regarding this.

all the best