Diagnosed with CKD. Have urinary incontinence due to sciatic nerve. Having pain and pressure. What to do for pain?

I have been diagnosed with CKD. I also have urinary incontinence due to sciatic nerve. However, I urinate often and there is pain and pressure when it happens. My kidney function is presently at 40%, according to the doctor. What is your take on the pain? I have to carefully watch intake of potassium, phosphorus and protein. Doesn't leave much to eat!!! I am newly 76 years old.
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 2 hours later

The most common cause of pain and discomfort while urinating is infection of the bladder. Other cause can be inflammation of vagina/cervix. Apart from this there are some rare possibilities like interstitial cystitis.

I suggest that you get a CBC, urinalysis and urine culture. Also get an ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder. These tests will tell us if you have any infection which can then be treated with appropriate antibiotics.

You should also see your gynaecologist who can examine you to see if there are any signs of inflammation or infection.

If these are inconclusive you may require evaluation by specialist like a urologist.

Hope this was helpful.
Good luck.